Subject: Re: LW VRML for real?
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:13:42 -0800

In a message dated 96-03-27 15:12:07 EST, you write:

>By the way, Erik...your VRML "museum" looked pretty good...
>what I saw of it anyways.
Thanks!
>  I accessed your site, selected the museum, and waited 25
>MINUTES while the PC's drive just chugged away.  I don't think I had
>enough actual memory available to the system and vmem just wasn't cutting
>it.  I'll try again soon though.
You probably have a 16MB machine?
Someone else was having a similar problem on a 'low memory' machine.
(I'm up to 64MB now, and it's almost like having my 32MB Amiga back! Running
a couple of big programs at the same time is no problem! :^)
I'll do a test on another 133MHz  Pentium w/32MB RAM, and probably put a
warning under the bigger VRML files. (Sorry for the delays in your DL!)

>VRML is one of those goofy novelties that will become very useful when the
>higher bandwidth connections become available.  I can't wait to be able to
>put complex LW scenes online and allow people to interact with them!
It'll be a lot more useful when there're some decent authoring tools, too!
Still, VRML has caught my imagination in ways similar to when I first heard
about fractals, or holographic memory. It seems like the first feeble steps
into the 'Cyberspace' that there's been so much hype about. Hopefully, VRML
(and its successors) will give us new ways to visualize, interpret, and
manipulate data. 
Even if that doens't pan out, maybe I'll make a few bucks during the 'gold
rush'! ;^)

Thanks for the feedback!
Erik Flom